Angelo Romano. A Pictorial History of Electronic Countermeasures Squadron ONE (ECMRON-1) and Fleet Air Reconnaissance Squadron ONE (VQ-1).
The lineage of VQ-1s World Watchers can be traced back to two PBY-5A Catalina Black Cats modified for electronic reconnaissance during World War II. In Oct 1951, the unit was formally established as the Special Electronic Search Project (SESP) at NAS Sangley Point, Republic of the Philippines, in Oct 1951.
On 13 May 1953, the unit was redesignated Detachment Able of Airborne Early Warning Squadron One (VW-1), and operated four P4M-1Q Mercator aircraft. On 1 Jun 1955, Detachment Able was reorganized into Electronic Countermeasures Squadron One (VQ-1) at MCAF Iwakuni, Japan.
This was the first Navy squadron dedicated to electronic warfare. In Sep 1956, VQ-1 received the first A3D/A-3 Skywarrior, or Whale as it came to be known, which served the squadron for the next three decades.
Illustrated with 633 black/white and color photos, 39 color profiles, 82 patches; 308 pages.