The P-40M was essentially similar to the P-40K-20-CU, apart from the use of the Allison V-1710-18 engine, rated at 1200 hp for takeoff and 1125 hp at 17,300 feet. The P-40M could be distinguished from the P-40K by the introduction of a cooling grill forward of the exhaust stubs.
The P-40M was built solely for Lend-Lease, the contract being approved on August 24, 1942. The first P-40M appeared in November, 1942. Most of them went to the RAF, the RAAF, and the RNZAF as the Kittyhawk III. The type served with British Commonwealth forces in the Far East. A number were operated in Italy by No. 5 Squadron of the South African Air Force.Kit contains over 140 pieces: 11 sprues and tires, fuselage and wing, detailed cockpit, gear cabin, rubber tires and photo etched parts included