This CWU-45P Flight Jacket is the current, genuine government-issue USAF and USN flight jacket, manufactured to US Military specs, and features a water repellent nylon outer shell (current Mil-Spec 45/P comes in Nomex material), two layered quilted nylon/polyester interlinings, with knit cuffs, waistband, and front zipper closure with storm flap to ensure you’ll stay warm and dry. This jacket has all the style and warmth you could want, with all the details and durability of the original! Made by Alpha.
CWU-45P Flight Jacket features:
- 100% Water repellent nylon outer shell for maximum comfort and dryness
- Suitable for mild or colder winter climates ranging 25F to 40F
- Two layered quilted nylon/polyester interlinings
- Two large lined and double stitched Velcro-closure front pockets for secure carry
- Heavy-duty zipper over wind flap
- Knit cuffs and waistband
- Storm flap
- Zippered combination utility/pencil pocket on left sleeve
- Chest plaque for Velcro-backed leather ID included
- Colors: Green & Black
- Fit: Normal Sizing Chart
The military needed a flight jacket made from fire-retardant material since early nylon flight jackets offered no protection against flames and would melt onto the pilot during an aircraft fire. This need produced the CWU (Cold Weather Uniform) 36/P (summer weight) and 45/P (winter weight) flight jackets in 1972, which were made of NOMEX fabric (a Dupont product known for its outstanding thermal, chemical & radiation resistance). This jacket is still being issued to USAF pilots today and features two large patch pockets, knit waistband & cuffs, and a zippered utility pocket on the left sleeve, although the original bi-swing back has been removed due to interference with safety equipment. Alpha began supplying the military with the CWU in 1995, and continued to do so for more than five years, and began producing a commercial version of the CWU-45/P for the civilian market in 1998 as well as a leather version in the late 1990s.